Monday, January 11, 2010

To Kindle or not to Kindle, that is the question.



I'm trying to become more of a reader. When I was younger, I used to spend hours on end reading. I guess as it became more of a requirement for school, the less I wanted to spend my free time doing it. Nowadays, if US Weekly counts as pleasure reading, then I'm a weekly reader. But I think that it doesn't.


One thing that has perked my desire to get back into reading is the Kindle. The things looks pretty cool, the price does not. At this point, I can't justify dropping a few hundred bucks but it defnitely is sneaking its way up on my "want" list. So far, the only downside to this thing seems to be that you can't share books like you can with the new Nook by Barnes and Noble but I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before it's available. A few friends did clue me in recently that you can use your iphone as a Kindle and download books but the thought of only getting to read 15-20 words per screen makes me have nightmares of getting carpel tunnel from constantly flipping through the screens just to get through one chapter.


So I guess until I can kick up my reading habits to justify spending some money on one of these things, it looks like I'll be going old school and hitting up the library because I just can't justify spending $15-$20 bucks for a book at Barnes and Noble either. If you're still on the fence about the Kindle, I suggest you take a peak at this article written by one of my favorite authors (when I actually do get around to reading her) which makes a solid (and humorous) case for both the Kindle and the good old paperback.

No comments:

Post a Comment