Thursday, December 17, 2009

What is Wrong With Kids These Days?



I don’t ever remember being obsessed with having any one toy for Christmas (except maybe the year the Barbie motorized Jeep came out but even at that young, I knew there was no way in hell I Santa was bringing it) but I certainly understand the craze sometimes. I thought that the Tickle Me Elmo was cute (although would probably get really annoying really quick), and I totally understood the Wii craze from a few years ago. But this year’s hot today just leaves me confused. Supposedly these Zhu Zhu Pets are one of the top toys to get this year and I really don’t get it.


According to AOL Shopping, “Zhu Zhu Pets™ are innovative, realistic, interactive, plush, and artificially intelligent hamsters that talk and move around in their own playsets. Zhu Zhu Pets™ include two play modes: loving mode and explore mode. In their loving mode, you can pet them, love them, hear them squeak and chatter. In their explore mode, they'll scoot, scamper, bump and boogie across the floor or through their Hamster Habitat. These hamsters have over 40 different sound effects, depending on the unique environment they encounter.”

I can’t even begin to think of why any kid would want to play with a robot hamster. What’s even more startling is that these little suckers normally retail for about 10 bucks and are already being sold on ebay for $50-$100 which is ridiculous. I haven't seen a toy this stupid since the Furby doll (another hot Christmas gift that left me saying WTF?). I guess I’m mostly annoyed that I didn’t know of this stupid toy sooner so that I could have stocked up on them and made a huge re-sale profit on ebay.

No comments:

Post a Comment