Monday, November 30, 2009

More Apple Deliciousness

I mentioned here that we spent some time apple picking this fall. What I didn't mention was that I ended up turning that huge bag of apples into apple deliciousness.

I had to struggle to come up with a few ideas of what to make with our apples. A quick check with Larry revealed that he would not eat apple pie or apple crips (seriously? this kid only likes pepsi and chicken nuggets) and while I am a fan of both, I knew if I made either, I would end up eating all of it myself. So I came up with a few other options that put the apples to good use. For the record, I did end up eating all of it myself still, but at least it was portion controlled and not me sitting and eating an apple pie in one sitting.

Homemade Apple Scones:
recipe courtesy of allrecipes.com

they definitely don't look like what the recipe looks like but still delicious

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup butter, chilled
  • 1 apple - peeled, cored and shredded
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions:
  1. Measure flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, and salt into a large bowl. Cut in butter or margarine until crumbly. Add shredded apple and milk. Stir to form a soft dough.
  2. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently 8 to 10 times. Pat into two 6-inch circles. Place on greased baking sheet. Brush tops with milk, and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Score each into 6 pie-shaped wedges.
  3. Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 15 minutes, or until browned and risen. Serve warm with butter.

I'd never really been that into scones before (aside from that Friends episode where Ross takes his agression out on some "stupid british snack foods") but I thought these came out great and I enjoyed a few (they were pretty small after) for breakfast at work that week.

Homemade Apple Sauce:
recipe courtesy of Ina Garten

No picture, because really it looks just like you think it would

Ingredients:

  • 2 large navel oranges, zested and juiced
  • 1 lemon, zested and juiced
  • 3 pounds Granny Smith apples (about 6 to 8 apples) (I only used 1 and just doubled up on the reds)
  • 3 pounds sweet red apples, such as Macoun, McIntosh, or Winesap (about 6 to 8 apples)
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (or High if you're using the crock pot)
  • Place the zest and juice of the oranges and lemon in a large bowl
  • Peel, quarter, and core the apples (reserving the peel of 2 of the red apples) and toss them in the juice.
  • Pour the apples, reserved apple peel, and juice into a nonreactive Dutch oven or enameled iron pot. Add the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and allspice and cover the pot. Bake for 1 hour, or until all the apples are soft.
  • Remove and discard the red apple peel. Mix with a whisk until smooth, and serve warm or at room temperature.
I used my crock pot for this and let it sit for about 2-3 hours until the apples were really, really soft (and as an added bonus, the house smelled amazing). The recipe says it makes 2.5 qts but I'm not sure if I got that much out of it and I was shocked at how much those apples cooked down. Also, I don't know if this was "apple sauce" as much as it was "hot cinnamon apples" but I took a small container to work every day with the aforementioned scones and thought it was delicious.



No comments:

Post a Comment