Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Holiday Favorites (Day 8): Advent Calendars



When you're young, I think it's a cardinal rule that once it hits November, you start counting down for Christmas. Nothing heightens the countdown like an advent calendar. It's there everyday to remind you exactly how many more days are left until December 25th.

When I was little, my mom had had painted a gorgeous wooden advent calendar with a great big christmas tree and a tiny peg for every day of the month where a tiny ornament would hang until it's day came to be moved onto the tree. The highlight of course was Day #24 where there was a miniture baby jesus in a cradle but I used to also love picking the other ornaments (candy canes, snowflakes, drums, angels, toys, snowmen, etc.) each day and placing them on the tree. It's such a great memory of my childhood.

Since I haven't lived at home for several years for Christmas, I was so happily surprised to find out that Larry's family had their own advent calendar tradition. Every year, Larry's grandparents would gift him with the best kind of advent calendar - the ones with chocolate! Now I had never seen these until I was in college so I don't know how I managed to miss out on this but I now look forward to it every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment