Saturday, December 5, 2009

Holiday Favorites (Day 3): Holiday Movies

The month of December is also a great time to catch up on holiday classics. Although we own several of these on DVD, I will always stop and watch when they are on TV (preferably shown with swears and without commercials). Here’s a run-down of my top favorites.



Elf
As I’ve mentioned before, I’m a huge Will Ferrell fan. Although this movie is much more tame than some of his other notable classics, soon after it’s debut in 2003 it became an instant classic in my book. I laugh everytime I hear “Buddy the elf, what’s your favorite color?” and you have to give Will props for pulling off those yellow spandex tights.


Christmas Vacation
I said recently in conversation that it’s not often that a sequel to a movie is better than the first installment. With Christmas Vacation as the third installment in the National Lampoon’s series, it’ definitely my favorite. The Griswolds are wacky and makes me feel a whole lot better about the craziness that comes with families around the holidays. The holiday season at Bentley College was always ushered in with a group viewing of this movie which is one of my favorite college memories with my school family.



Home Alone
You can’t have Christmas without Kevin McCallister. Although this plot is somewhat unbelieveable (yes, I know it’s just a movie) it’s a movie that I know Larry will sit our kids down to watch years from now. Plus, you can’t miss out on seeing Maculay Culkin before he hit his MJ phase which just got weird for everyone. I don’t vouch for the second or third versions though, they should have stopped with the first.



Bad Santa
I’m not usually a Billy Bob supporter (although I do love Bernie Mac) but this movie is funny. It’s not a traditional Christmas flick but more of a dark comedy with some sweet moments thrown in. I do also firmly believe there are wackos out there that would name their child Thurman Merman.

Other notable mentions include How the Grinch Stole Christmas(we’re talking the animated version, not the Jim Carrey re-make), Frosty the Snowman and a Charlie Brown Christmas because I’m a sucker for kids classics.

Noticeable missing from my list of favorites are:
· Polar Express – loved the book but thought the computer children were just creepy looking (almost as bad as those creatures in A Nightmare Before Christmas). Big fail for Tom Hanks.

· Christmas Story – I may be the only person to never have seen this movie. I know it includes something about a bb gun, a frozen tongue and a leg lamp. Larry has a fit every year when I mention that I still have no desire to see it.

· It’s a Wonderful Life/Miracle on 34th Street – call me a brat but I can’t watch anything in black and white

No comments:

Post a Comment