For the Halloween party we went to last weekend, I decided I needed a week-night project and decided to make something delicious to bring to the party. These litter critters were cute and fairly easy to make.
Here's the recipe:
- 1 box (18.25 oz.) Devil’s Food cake mix
- 1 can (16 oz.) dark chocolate frosting
- 1 can (10.5 oz.) chocolate sprinkles
- 24 large marshmallows
- ¼ cup M&M’S® Brand Chocolate Candies
- 48 red or black licorice laces (I used Cherry Twizzlers Pull n' Peel because do they even still make licorice laces?)
- 1 toothpick
- Prepare the cake mix according to the package instructions.
- Line cupcake pans with paper-liners. Fill each cup with 2/3 cup of batter.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F for 18-21 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and cool completely.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of the chocolate frosting in a resealable plastic bag.
- Spread the tops of the cupcakes with the remaining frosting. Then, coat the tops with the chocolate sprinkles.
- Cut the marshmallows in half crosswise (I was able to get 3 or 4 slices per marshmellow but this part was really messy because the marshmellow kept sticking to the knife). Using the reserved frosting, attach two marshmallow pieces to each cupcake as eyes. Stick one M&M to the center of each marshmallow piece for the eye (the recipe said to use frosting to do this but I didn't and they stuck just fine)
- Cut each licorice lace into four equal pieces. Press four holes into 2 sides of each cupcake using the toothpick. Insert a licorice piece into each hole for each spider’s legs, 8 pieces per cupcake.